The first time I had Tiramisu was at an Italian restaurant when we went out for dinner with friends .The description said that it was made of lady fingers.We were discussing if it was made out of ladies finger(oakra).My husband googled and mailed us the link about lady fingers.Lady fingers are sponge cakes that resemble a finger,hence the name lady fingers.But believe me,they don’t look like one.It was pretty hard to get the lady fingers.We got a set of soft lady fingers from Kroger and then our friend told us that you can also get them at H.E.B. But the lady fingers there are crispy and a bit hard.There is no need to worry,they will turn out soft when soaked in coffee,Kahlua and cheese mixture.I get the mascarpone cheese from Fiesta or H.E.B. Have never seen one at Walmart.My husband loves to make tiramisu.I just watch him do it 🙂
There are few important points to note while making this dessert.Never dip the lady fingers in the coffee mixture for more than a second.Over soaking will give the tiramisu a bitter taste.Do not skip the Kahlua(coffee liqueur).It adds taste to the dessert.3 Tbsps wont do much harm.You can get small bottles of Kahlua at liqueur stores,near the check out counter.The biggest mistake one can commit while making this dessert is to refrigerate it and eat it as soon as it chills.Never do that.It will take time for the lady fingers to soak.So refrigerate it overnight.
The cheeses can be used directly from the fridge.The ones at room temperature creams easily.The cream filling can be doubled,if you like a thick layer of cream.The recipe below yields 9 pieces.But the first piece will be tricky to dish out from the tray.The other pieces will be easier to scoop out with a flat spatula.
- Egg Yolks – 2
- Milk – 2 tbsps
- Granulated sugar – 1/2 cup
- Mascarpone cheese – 8 oz
- Cream cheese – 4 oz
- Vanilla extract – 1/8 tsp
- Lady fingers – 24
- Coffee powder – 1/2 cup,I used Folgers classic roast medium
- Water for brewing coffee- 1 cup
- Kahlua- 3 tbsps
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – for dusting
- Brew the coffee and let it cool down to room temperature.
- To create a double boiler,heat water in a big saucepan.
- When it simmers,place a medium saucepan containing egg yolks,milk and sugar over the big saucepan.
- The medium saucepan must touch the water.
- Whisk continuously till it turns thick and light yellow.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- In a large mixing bowl,cream the mascarpone cheese,cream cheese and vanilla extract till well combined.
- Add the egg mixture to the cheese mixture and mix till combined.
- Mix the coffee and Kahlua together in a wide bowl.
- Have the lady fingers,coffee mixture,8×8 inch glass tray and the cheese mixture ready.
- Dip the lady finger in the coffee mixture just for a second and place it on the tray.
- Repeat till you line the tray with one layer of lady fingers.
- You can also break the lady fingers to fit.
- Spoon half the cheese mixture over the lady fingers and spread them evenly.
- Gently tap the tray on the working surface or give it a light shake.
- The cheese will spread out evenly and will fill the gaps between the lady fingers.
- You can fill out the air pockets if there are any.
- Dip the lady fingers in the coffee mixture and form a layer on the cheese mixture.
- Spoon the remaining cheese mixture over the lady fingers and gently shake the tray.
- Take a little cocoa powder in a strainer and dust the cocoa powder over the cream mixture by tapping the strainer with your finger.
- Give it an even coating.
- Cover the tiramisu and let it refrigerate overnight.