Modakam`s are rice flour dumplings with a sweet filling. It is made during Vinayaka Chaturthi as offerings to Lord Vinayaka. The filling is made out of white sesame seeds/ellu/til , shredded coconut, powdered jaggery and cardamom powder. Sesame seeds adds flavor to the filling.The sweet filling is called, Pooranam.
The rice dumplings can be made into any shape. You can make round,hill shaped or semi circle shaped kozhukattai`s.
To get perfect shapes,a modakam mold has to be used. You can get them in India.
The ingredients below makes 6 to 7 modakam’s.
- Rice flour – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup + 2 tbsps
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp plus more for greasing the modakam mold
For the filling:
- Shredded coconut – 5 tbsps
- White or Black Sesame seed/ellu/til – 1 tbsp
- Jaggery – 5 tbsps, grated
- Cardamom powder – 2 pinches
Method for filling:
- Dry roast the sesame seeds in a pan. Keep swirling them around.
- When they begin to pop, turn off the heat and transfer them to a bowl and let it cool down completely.
- Grind the sesame seeds into a fine/coarse powder without using water. Set it aside.
- Mix shredded coconut, sesame powder, grated jaggery and cardamom powder together in a bowl. Set it aside.
Method for Modakam shell and assembling the Modakam’s:
- Sift rice flour in a bowl and set it aside.
- Boil water in a saucepan.
- Add salt and oil to it.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add rice flour to the boiling water and mix until well combined.
- When the dough is warm enough to handle, grease the modakam molds.
- Take a small ball of dough and push it inside the closed modakam mold.
- Use your finger to push the dough into the edges of the mold making a depression in the center for the filling.(wet your fingers in water if the dough sticks to your finger)
- Make sure that the inside of the modakam mold is covered in dough.
- Fill the center with filling/pooranam.
- Take another small ball of dough and flatten it into a small circle just big enough to cover the hole. Trim the excess dough using your fingers. (Wet your fingers and smooth-en the modakam if the dough cracks).
- Open the modakam mold and remove the modakam out gently.
- If there are any cracks, wet your fingers in water and run them around the cracks.
- Place the prepared modakam’s in a greased steamer.
- Steam for 5 minutes or until the modakam is cooked.(I let the water boil and then let the modakam’s steam for 5 minutes)
- Remember to grease the modakam mold with oil before making each modakam.