The first time I had aapam was at my in-law`s place.My husband used to make aapam even before our wedding.Since we both like aapam,I started making them at home.You can have aapam with vegetable kurma or sweetened coconut milk. But coconut milk is our favorite.The recipe below can make 11 aapam`s.
- Boiled Rice (I used Idli rice) – 1 cup
- Raw Rice (I used Sona Masoori rice) – 1 cup
- Aval(Poha) – 1/3 cup
- Urad Dal – 1/4 cup
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
- Coconut Milk – 1/3 cup
- Sugar – 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Baking Soda – two pinches
- Soak rice,fenugreek seeds ,poha and urad dal in water together for 6 hours or overnight.
- Soak poha in water for half an hour.
- Drain the water and wash the soaked ingredients .
- Grind the soaked rice along with the poha to a fine paste.Adding water as required.
- Add salt as required.
- Let the batter sit overnight to ferment.
- While making aapam`s, add baking soda,sugar and coconut milk.Mix well.
- Dilute the batter with water as required.
- Heat the aapa kadaai(aapa chatti).
- I use a non stick one.I rub little oil on it before heating the kadai.
- Test if the kadai is hot enough by sprinkling water on it.It must sizzle and evaporate immediately.
- Take a ladle full of batter (almost 2/3 cup) and pour it in the middle.
- Use the kadaai handle and swirl the batter such that it coats the sides of the kadai evenly.Swirl it just once.
- When you are done, there will be some more batter left in the base.
- Cover and let it cook till the base is completely cooked.
- The aapam will have a thick base and the sides will be thin.
- Serve the aapam hot with coconut milk and sugar.