Here is the recipe for Tamil Nadu style layered parotta. I have tried this recipe many times and it always turns out great.I use them to make chilli parotta.I had some uncooked rolled out parotta`s, I placed them between plastic wraps and froze the parottas.The recipe below makes 13 parottas.
- All purpose flour/Maida – 3 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – same quantity as the salt
- Water – as required
- Oil- as required
- Wet cloth
- Place the flour in a big mixing bowl and make a well in the center.
- Add sugar and salt to the well and mix them(equal quantity of salt and sugar).
- Add little water to the well and mix the sugar and salt.
- When the salt and sugar mixes, gradually fold in the flour into the well and keep mixing.
- Add water little by little to the dough.
- Try to make the dough into a ball.
- The dough will start off sticky but will gradually smooth out as you kneed.
- When the dough is smooth and stops sticking,place the dough on a well oiled kitchen counter and apply 1 tbsp of oil on the entire dough(covering the dough ball).
- Place a wet cloth over it and cover it with the mixing bowl .Let it sit for 1 hour.
- Make lemon size balls of the dough and arrange them on your oiled kitchen counter.
- Apply oil on the dough balls and cover them with a wet cloth.
- Let the dough sit for 10 minutes.
- Take one ball out while the others sit under the wet cloth and place it on an oiled surface.
- Roll out flat with a rolling pin.
- The kitchen counter should be visible though the dough when rolled out.
- Small holes might appear while rolling out the dough,just ignore it.
- Apply oil on the rolled out dough.
- Use one hand to lift out the dough from the working surface or lift the dough with both hands and make saree like pleats (similar to fan folding).
- Use both your hands to hold the two corners of the dough and swing the dough back and forth to expand it.
- Place the dough on a well oiled work surface.Roll the dough like a coil.See image below.
- Use a rolling pin and roll out the dough.
- Check out the video below on making the parotta.
- Heat a griddle.Apply oil to it and place the rolled parotta on it and trickle some oil on the sides of the parotta.
- Flip the parotta as it cooks and cook both the sides evenly.Its ready when you see brown spots appearing on both the sides.
- Remove onto a plate.Place hands on the sides of the parotta and move your hands in a clapping motion( 5 or 6 times).
- The layers of the parotta will be revealed.
- Be generous with the oil while rolling the parotta.
- Oil and ghee can be used while rolling the parotta.
- Serve hot with vegetable kurma or salna.