Paal Kozhukattai is a yummy sweet dessert made with sweet milk and rice dumplings.My mom used to make paal kozhukattai when I was a kid and I used to help her with the rice flour dough.It takes time to roll the dough into elongated oval shapes or small balls . It is time consuming but totally worth it!
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Warm water – as required for the dough
- Water – 3 cups
- Shredded coconut – 1 + 1/2 tbsp
- Coconut milk – 1/3 cup ( can be substituted with milk)
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 3 pinches
- Mix 1 cup of rice flour with the salt.
- Add warm water little by little to the rice flour and mix well.
- While mixing with water, please ensure that the consistency of the dough is just enough to make small balls.
- Make small balls or elongated oval shapes with the dough.Use less than 1/4 tsp of dough.
- Boil 3 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Drop the balls slowly in small batches into the water.
- Adding all the balls at once will reduce the temperature of the water and the balls to begin to melt.
- Let it boil for 8 minutes.
- The water will thicken because of the rice flour from the balls.
- If it does not thicken,mix 1 tbsp of rice flour with little water and add it to the water.Let it boil for 3 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup coconut milk to the water and let it boil for 4 minutes.
- Coconut milk can be substituted with milk.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add sugar,cardamom powder and shredded coconut .Mix till well combined.
- Serve at room temperature.