Here is a recipe for spicy mutton urundai(mutton balls). They taste really good and can be had with rice and mutton kolambu.You can also serve it as an appetizer. As I was using raw mutton pieces, I cooked the mutton first before shredding it. It eases the load on the mixie/Blender. You can also deep fry them in oil. Since baking is a healthy way to reduce oil intake, I always try to avoid deep frying items.
- Mutton Pieces (boneless) or mutton keema – 410 grams
- Cinnamon sticks – 1 inch
- Bay leaf – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Egg -1
- Onion – 1/3 cup finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch minced
- Garlic – 3 pods minced
- Green chilli – 1 tsp minced
- Chilli powder – 2 1/2 tsp (adjust according to taste)
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 + 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup chopped
- Lime juice – juice of 1 Key lime
- Salt – to taste
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Cardamon pods- 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Cloves – 3
- Marathi Mokku – 3
- Star anise – 2
- Kalpasi – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Roasted Channa dal/Dalia/Pottu Kadalai – 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Heat 2 tbsps of oil and add the mutton pieces to it.
- Add required amount of salt along with the cinnamon, bay leaf and turmeric powder.
- Keep cooking till the mutton pieces are well cooked.
- Once cooked, remove the mutton pieces and let it cool.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add 1 tsp oil to it and roast the cardamon pods,cinnamon stick,cloves,marathi mokku,star anise,kalpasi and fennel seeds.
- Keep stirring continuously.Do not let them burn. Turn off the heat and let it cool down before grinding it.
- Grind the spices along with the roasted channa dal.
- Grind the mutton,ginger,garlic,green chilli and egg( slightly beaten) together into small shredded pieces.
- Add the ground spice mixture,chilli powder,coriander powder,pepper powder,coriander leaves,lime juice to the ground mutton and mix them till they blend.
- Preheat oven to 300 F.Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and spray with olive oil.
- Make 17 lemon sized balls of mutton mixture and line them on the tray.
- Spray with olive oil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Rotate the tray and bake 6 minutes.
- Flip the balls slowly and bake for 8 minutes.Rotate and cook again for 6 more minutes.
- Remove the balls onto a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.
I tried this recipe with keema mutton.While baking,the mutton gave out a lot of water which I didn’t like.
Below is the instruction for using keema mutton.
- Wash mutton keema.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the keema to it.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Cook on medium heat till the mutton is well cooked.
- The mutton will give out water as it cooks.
- Drain the mutton and follow the procedure above.
- You don`t have to grind the mutton .
- You can add finely chopped ginger,garlic and green chilli pieces.Grinding is not required.
Deep Frying Method
- Wash mutton and follow the procedure above.
- Grinding and pre-cooking the keema is not required.