We started barbecuing last summer.We realized how useful it was when hurricane Ike hit us real bad. We ran out out charcoal long back and forgot to get a bag (We didn’t realize that it would me helpful .We all learn from our mistakes) . We had to use the coal from the previous barbecue.We were stuck with no current for 4 day. On the first day of power failure,we used up all the eggs we had and made a huge omelet ( 8 eggs) .The dosa batter I made could not survive the power failure. So we used readymade dosa and rava dosa mix .Shared some with our neighbor. We were happy to eat something hot. Since all the stores were closed ,we couldn`t buy charcoal.So that was the last use of the grill.Sadly it was winter.
Summer is back and it is time to grill again.Men are always interested in barbecue. So its time for me to rest and enjoy the dish my husband makes.
My husband wanted to try out something different,he used chicken pieces, orange and lemon juice along with many herbs , ginger powder and paprika.
We started off with corn,which was tender and juicy and the the asparagus flavored with pepper,salt and lemon juice.
It was gone in a second.
Next was the kabab`s.That turned out really good.I am gonna tempt you all with some lovely pictures.The chicken cooked to perfection with yellow capsicums,green capsicums and tomatoes.
- Chicken -2 boneless chicken breasts ( cut into 12 pieces)
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Orange juice – Juice of 1 orange,squeeze with hand
- Lemon juice – Half a lemon
- Herbs – Oregano, Italian seasoning
- Seasoning salt – to taste
- Dry Ginger powder – 1 tsp
- Capsicums – any color.But the orange,red and yellow ones tastes better.
- Tomato – 1
- Clean the chicken. Cut into 12 pieces and mix with the above ingredients.Let it sit for 2 hours. Now they are ready for grilling.
- Cook them on a skewer with capsicum and tomato.
- Remember to soak the skewers in water for an hour before cooking (you don`t want them to get burned).
- Sprinkle some salt on the vegetables before placing it on the grill.
We had kabab with a bowl of fruits.
A wonderful end to a hot summer day.