During my India trip,I had chilli parotta from my cousin`s hotel.Since then,I wanted to try this recipe.But didn’t want to use the frozen ones. I found the perfect Tamil Nadu style parotta recipe. Left over parotta`s and some capsicum? Chilli Parotta !!! . Finally I decided to try out my version of chilli parotta .This is a simple dish.You can also use frozen parotta`s.It tastes great with onion raita.
- Shredded Parotta – 4 cups
- Capsicums – 1 and 1/2 capsicum cut into squares
- Onions – 1/2 large onion diced
- Tomato – 1 large Roma ( ground to a fine paste)
- Oil – more than the quantity you use for normal saute
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 ” ginger + 2 cloves garlic ground to a fine paste
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 7
- Turmeric Powder – less than 1/4 tsp
- Chilli Powder – adjust according to taste
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves – for garnish
- Heat oil in a wok.Add mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.Add the curry leaves and onion to it.
- When the onions are cooked,add the turmeric powder followed by the ginger garlic paste.Saute for 1 min.
- Add the chopped capsicums.When the capsicums are almost done, add the tomato paste.
- When the capsicums are fully cooked,add the chilli powder followed by cumin and coriander powder.Add salt to taste.
- Let the mixture cook till the oil leaves the side. Keep mixing at regular intervals to prevent the mixture from burning.
- Add the shredded parotta`s to it and cook till few of the parotta pieces turn crispy.They wont turn soggy.
- Keep cooking till they turn a bit crisp (will turn crisp because of the extra oil we have used for saute) .But don`t let them brown.
- Turn off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves.
Steaming hot chilli parotta is ready. Serve hot with Raita. Well,it tastes great even without a side.
I forgot to note down the exact measure for the oil in this recipe.Remember to be generous with the oil (just for this one 🙂 ).