Rasam is a comfort food that has became a part of my cooking when my in-laws visited us.Its simple and quick. It tastes great with dal and rice. People who fall sick are usually put on a rasam diet.
- Tamarind paste – 1/2 tsp +1/4 tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- For seasoning:
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 7
- Red chilli – 1
- Grind to past (without water):
- Tomato – 1/2 a tomato (1/3 cup)
- Whole black pepper – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1tsp
- Garlic – 1 Big pod
- Grind the tomato,cumin seeds,pepper and garlic to a paste( not too fine) without adding water.
- Add 2 cups of water,tamarind paste and salt to the tomato mixture and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- After the mustard splutters, add the red chilli and curry leaves.
- Add the tomato mixture and tamarind paste to the seasoning.Mix well and cook on medium heat.Add the coriander leaves to the rasam while it cooks.
- Turn off the stove when the rasam begins to boil.
- Do not let the rasam boil.
Rasam,rice and potatoes is a quick lunch.