A quick and easy recipe made with toor dal which is a high source of nutrients.
- Toor dal – 2/3 cup
- Tomato – 1/2 a tomato chopped
- Hing – 5 pinches
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli – 1
- Curry leaves – 6
- Turmeric powder – less than 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro – 3 or 4 strands chopped
- Pressure cook the dal,tomatoes and turmeric powder with water.
- Mash the dal with a masher(‘mathu’ in tamil) and add salt.
- You can dilute the dal with water if required.
- For the seasoning, heat oil in a small pan. When the oil heats up, add the mustard seed and wait till it splutters.Add the red chilli,curry leaves and hing.Turn off the stove and add cilantro to it.
- Add the seasoning to the dal and garnish with cilantro.
Dal can be had with chapathi`s or rice with a dollop of warm ghee.