A quick and easy lunch to prepare when you run out of ideas to cook.This is my mom`s method of making making Biryani.
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Ghee – 1Tbsp + 1 Tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 “
- Cloves 3
- Cardamom – 3
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf – 2
- You can also use other Biryani spices
- Onions – 2 1/2 cups (chopped length wise)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 Tbsps
- Tomatoes – 3 1/2 big tomatoes (chopped)
- Chilli powder – 2 1/2 Tbsps (adjust according to your taste)
- Mint leaves – 4 leaves (chopped)
- Coriander leaves – 4 strands (finely chopped)
- Green chillies – 2 (make a cut on them)
- Mixed Vegetables – 2 cups (you can use carrots,peas,beans,peas,potatoes,cauliflower)
- Basmathi rice – 2 cups
- Salt – as required
- Heat oil and the ghee together in a pan. When the oil heats up, add the cinamom,cloves,cardamom,cumin seeds and bay leaf.Let them cook for 15 secs. Add the chopped onions and turmeric powder.
- Wait till they turn golden brown and add the ginger garlic paste.Saute for a minute and add the tomatoes to it.Adding little salt at this stage will help the tomatoes to cook faster.Keep stirring in between to prevent the mixture from sticking to the base of the pan. Add the mixed vegetables and add some more salt if required.
- Let the vegetables cook covered.When the vegetables get cooked, add the chilli powder and green chillies and mix well.Let the vegetables cook in chilli powder for 4 mins.Turn off the stove and add the mint leaves and coriander leaves to it.
- Wash the basmathi rice and add the vegetables to it.
- If you are using a rice cooker, you can add 4 cups of water to the rice mixture.Add more salt if required and let the Biryani cook.
- Enjoy with onion or cucumber salad.
You can also add cooked soya chunks to the vegetables before adding the chilli powder.