This is a recipe that I learnt from my mom that I altered. It’s my husband’s favorite .It can be had with Onion Pachadi(Raita).You can make this dish with leftover Chapati`s or prepare fresh Chapati`s.
- Cooked Sundal (Chickpeas)- 1 can or 2 cups.
- Onion-1/2 small onion.
- Capsicum -1 chopped.
- Carrots -3/4 cup chopped.
- Tomatoes-2 big or 3 small Roma Tomatoes. – grind to a fine paste.
- Ginger Garlic Paste -1 Tbsp.
- Olive Oil or Canola- 2 + ½ Tbsp.
- Chili Powder- 3 Tbsp.(According to your taste)
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp.
- Cumin Powder-1/4 tsp.
- Channa Masala Powder -2 Tbsp.
- Lemon Juice- 2 Tsps.
- Salt -To taste.
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing.
- Wheat Flour – 1 + ½ cups.
- Salt – ¼ tsp.
- Water-as required.
- Olive oil or Oil – ¼ tsp.
- Mix the above ingredients by adding water little by little.Knead well till it turns into a soft and smooth dough.
- Make lemon shaped balls of the dough and roll them out with a rolling pin.
- Do not use a lot of flour while rolling the chapathi`s.
- Use a non stick griddle to fry them on both sides.You can add little oil to the sides as it cooks or skip that part.
- Cook till small brown spots appear on both the sides.Keep flipping the chapathi over as it cooks.Do not let one side cook for a long time.
- To get soft chapati`s ,let the dough sit covered in an airtight container for one hour .The more you let it rest ,you will get softer chapathi`s.
- Cut the cooked Chapathi`s into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the chopped onions,after its cooked add the ginger garlic paste. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped capsicums and chopped carrots.Cook in low heat.the capsicums will take time to cook.You can also add little salt,it will quicken the cooking process.
- Add the tomatoes that are ground to it.Wait till it changes colour.
- Then add chili powder ,coriander powder,cumin powder,channa masala powder and salt.
- Let it mix well.Cook for atleast 3mins.
- Now add the cooked chickpeas(channa or sundal) to the mixture.Let it cook for 5 mins.
- Add the chopped Chapati`s to it.cook for just 2mins else the chapati`s will become soggy.
- Turn off the heat.Add lemon juice and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Onion Raita.(Mixture of Curd or Yogurt, Chopped onions and salt).