Kara Boondi is the spicy and simple version of the ladoo. It is a crunchy snack. The method for making ladoo and boondi is the same. The chilli powder in the below recipe is for a less spicy version. Adjust the chilli powder accordin g to your taste.You will need three spatulas called the Jalli karandi (will need two) and Kuzhi karandi like the ones in the photo.
- Gram flour – 1 cup
- Rice flour – 2 tbsps
- Salt – to taste
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp + ½ tsp( adjust according to taste)
- Asafoetida / Hing – ¼ tsp
- Oil – for deep frying
- Cashews – broken (as required)
- Curry leaves –as required
- Mix gram flour, rice flour, salt, chilli powder, hing and water into a thick flowing batter.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Test whether the oil is hot by placing dropping a little batter into the oil.
- It must rise up immediately.
- Place the Jalli Karandi over the oil; it shouldn`t touch the oil.
- Use a table spoon or a small kuzhi kuzhi “>karandi and pour the batter on the Jalli Karandi and keep moving the kuzhi karandi in circles.
- The Kuzhi karandi should touch the Jalli karandi.
- Small dollops of boondis will fall in the oil.
- When the boondis change color, use the other Jalli Karandi to remove it onto a paper towel.
- In the same oil,fry the cashews and curry leaves.
- Mix the boondis,fried cashews and fried curry leaves together.